Sunday, May 2, 2010

In Defense of Scientists


Something discussed in English class sparked my interest. We discussed the fact that science majors seem to be arrogant and look down on English or humanities majors. My first thought was, “Oh c’mon, science and math majors are looked down on as nerds and geeks. It might be more subliminal in college than it was in high school, but it’s still there.”

Then I started thinking that science majors are perceived as arrogant because many of them are arrogant. Since I am a chemistry major, this is kind of personal. There is undoubtedly arrogance and pride in the field of science. Students become puffed up with the knowledge they learn. They grow impressed with themselves for understanding complex scientific theories. I find even myself falling into this attitude at times, viewing what I’m majoring in as more important than what humanities’ students are majoring in. Part of the reason is that in the 7 core classes I have taken so far (classes such as art history, music theory, philosophy, etc), I have noticed that the students in the top fourth of the class are generally science or math majors or doing the pre-med track.

This arrogance is wrong. Dead wrong. However, if anybody were to have the right to be proud (and in my opinion, nobody’s ever got that right), it would be scientists. Statistically, scientists are some of the most highly educated, lowest payed professionals, and despite having up to a decade of education, have a salary similar to that of bus drivers (not that there is anything wrong with being a bus driver - I have lots of friends who are bus drivers). That is partly why I have such a strong admiration for scientists. They are like the Marines of society, suffering greatly at times to provide the rest of us with a comfortable world in which to live. Last semester’s organic chemistry professor looked like a stereotypical mad scientist - he had a PhD from Harvard, and he looked disheveled and wrinkled everyday, having twinkling eyes and wild salt and pepper hair that pointed and curled in every direction. In his lectures, he told us story after story of chemists who had literally died (in various unsavory ways) for science.

Funny thing is, (returning to the arrogant scientist thing), any scientist worth his salt is generally not proud, but humble because the complexity of the universe he studies forcibly imprints on him the awareness of his own inconsequence. Thomas Alva Edison had it right when he said that “We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything.”

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote about this! I know I was being a tad bit critical of science majors as a whole during English.

    I think it's important to differentiate between being arrogant and being proud of one's field of study. I think it's totally fine to feel good about oneself when you finally comprehend that really complicated theory. It's a completely different situation when you rub it in someone's face or something, though.

    There shouldn't be any shame in being passionate in anyone's major. I, for one, have an immense respect for science majors because of all that work they have to do! At the same, I wouldn't change my English and History to something else to appear more intelligent or mentally capable than my peers. I suppose what I want to say is that I wish that people would just be supportive and respect for each others decisions. As long as we are all happy, why should anyone else care, right?

    It's interesting that scientists are the lowest paid. I'm pretty sure freelance writers are right there with them in terms of salary.

    The conclusion of your post is beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks - I'm glad you got what I was attempting to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the whole philosophical thing happens with most people who go into any scientific field (except astronomy or physics); my family has an extended network of acquaintances, most of whom are doctors or scientists or what have you, and I can say without doubt that many of them are just plain people...not really all that spiritual or philosophical, but just ordinary people with good jobs and good minds.

    On the whole, there is nothing wrong with small doses of pride; I am proud of myself for the small trove of knowledge I have gathered and understood in my very short lifetime and would not for a second try to humble myself for it.

    A little humility and a little pride are good in moderation, but too much of humility is FAR worse than too much pride, even in the long road. In my youth, I was painfully humble and as adolescence descended upon me, humility turned into self-loathing and then into self-hatred. So yes, too much pride is bad. But it's better than the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...just plain people" - there is no such thing :) Everyone, the janitors that we meet in the halls early Friday morning, and the PhDs who do important research is at least to some degree thoughtful. However, I have always gotten "nature is huge, and absolutely awesome, we really know nothing" vibe from the chemistry professors I have interacted with.

    ReplyDelete